PLACE & Praxis II Exams
In order to be accepted to Denver Teacher Residency (DTR) and to receive an Initial Teaching License from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE), DTR candidates must pass a PLACE or Praxis II exam in their content area. DTR requires all candidates to provide a copy of their passing score results before they can be formally accepted into the program. Scores can be submitted no later than March 31, 2017. Scores can be submitted after either one of the application deadlines but no later than March 31st. Failure to provide this information will result in automatic withdrawal from the DTR application.
Follow the links below to register for an exam:
PRAXIS II: www.ets.org/praxis (candidates can sign-up for either paper-based or computer-based exams).
Here are some FAQ about the PLACE or PRAXIS exams:
What is the difference between the PLACE and the Praxis II exam?
- Scores from the PLACE are applicable in earning a teaching certificate exclusively in the state of Colorado, while scores from the Praxis II can be used to earn a teaching certificate in any state.
- The PLACE measures the level of knowledge and skills judged important for educators in Colorado schools. The Praxis II is a national test that measures knowledge of specific subjects that K-12 educators would teach.
Should I take the PLACE or the PRAXIS II exam?
- DTR does not have any preference as to which exam candidates take.
What if I schedule my exam after the interview date or after the application deadline, will I still be able to participate in the selection process?
- Yes, candidates will be able to provide the exam date in their application and will be responsible for providing updates regarding their exam to DTR. Official scores can be submitted after the application deadline but before March 31, 2016.
- If a candidate is selected for the residency program, he/she will be required to provide a passing score for either exam before he/she can be officially accepted. If a report is not provided by the deadline, he/she will be withdrawn from the program.
Once I decide to take either PLACE or Praxis II, which exam should I register for?
For Elementary Education (ELA-E K-5 or ELA-S K-5) or Special Education (K-12) applicants, the exams are:
PLACE: Elementary Education (#01)
Praxis 5001 with the below passing scores for each sub-test (available in CO after 9/1/16)
- Reading (5002) 157
- Math (5003)157
- Social Studies (5004) 155
- Science (5005)159
For Secondary Mathematics (6-12) applicants, the exams are:
PLACE #05 or Praxis II 0435/5435, (5435 is a computer based version of this test) Passing Score: 152 or
Meet the 24 credit hours for secondary science required by Colorado Department of Education content knowledge worksheet
For Secondary Science applicants (6-12), the tests are:
- PLACE #04 or Praxis II 5161, Passing Score: 152 or
- Meet the 24 credit hours secondary math required by Colorado Department of Education content knowledge worksheet
Please note: if a candidate is interested in Special Education, he/she should follow the same test requirements as Elementary Education. Special Education candidates will earn an Elementary Teaching license with an additional endorsement in Special Education.
How should I prepare for the PLACE or Praxis II?
For specific preparation materials, please consider obtaining outside resources in addition to those provided by each exam’s respective websites. DTR does not endorse any specific preparation program.
Submit official scores to:
1860 Lincoln St. Floor 12, Denver, CO 80203
Scanned document (PDF) by email: email@example.com
IMPORTANT: If taking the PLACE exam, all scores are automatically sent to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). If taking the Praxis II, CDE must be selected as a designated score recipient (Institutional Code 7040) when registering for the exam. You must also send a copy of your score report to DTR (PLACE or Praxis test centers will not send test results directly to DTR).
Information Sessions for the 2016-2017 year
March 8, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - Information Session at Emily Griffith Campus
March 15, 2017 Information Session @ 5:30 pm at DU's Morgridge College of Education
Application Deadline: March 19, 2017