PLACE & Praxis II Exams
In order to be accepted to Denver Teacher Residency (DTR) and to receive an Initial Teaching License from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE), DTR candidates must pass a PLACE or Praxis II exam in their content area. DTR requires all candidates to provide a copy of their passing score results before they can be formally accepted into the program. Scores can be submitted after the application deadline. Failure to provide this information will result in automatic withdrawal from the DTR application.
Follow the links below to register for an exam:
PRAXIS II: www.ets.org/praxis (candidates can sign-up for either paper-based or computer-based exams).
Here are some FAQ about the PLACE or PRAXIS exams:
What is the difference between the PLACE and the Praxis II exam?
- Scores from the PLACE are applicable in earning a teaching certificate exclusively in the state of Colorado, while scores from the Praxis II can be used to earn a teaching certificate in any state.
- The PLACE measures the level of knowledge and skills judged important for educators in Colorado schools. The Praxis II is a national test that measures knowledge of specific subjects that K-12 educators would teach.
Should I take the PLACE or the PRAXIS II exam?
- DTR does not have any preference as to which exam candidates take.
What if I schedule my exam after the interview date or after the application deadline, will I still be able to participate in the selection process?
- Yes, candidates will be able to provide the exam date in their application and will be responsible for providing updates regarding their exam to DTR. Official scores can be submitted after the application deadline.
- If a candidate is selected for the residency program, he/she will be required to provide a passing score for either exam before he/she can be officially accepted. If a report is not provided by the time the residency starts, he/she will be withdrawn from the program.
Once I decide to take either PLACE or Praxis II, which exam should I register for?
For Elementary Education (ELA-E K-5 or ELA-S K-5) or Special Education (K-12) applicants, the exams are:
PLACE: Elementary Education (#01)
Praxis II: Paper-based Elementary Education Content Knowledge #0014 OR computer-based Elementary Education Content Knowledge #5014
For Secondary Mathematics (6-12) applicants, the exams are:
PLACE: Mathematics #04
Praxis II: Computer-based Mathematics #5161 (no paper-based exam is available)
For Secondary Science applicants (6-12), the tests are:
PLACE: Science #05
Praxis II: Paper-based General Science #0435 or computer-based General Science #5435
Please note: if a candidate is interested in Special Education, he/she should follow the same test requirements as Elementary Education. Special Education candidates will earn an Elementary Teaching license with an additional endorsement in Special Education.
How should I prepare for the PLACE or Praxis II?
For specific preparation materials, please consider obtaining outside resources in addition to those provided by each exam’s respective websites. DTR does not endorse any specific preparation program.
Submit official scores to:
Denver Teacher Residency
900 Grant St., Suite 400
Denver, CO 80203
Scanned document (PDF) by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copy by fax: 720-423-3810
IMPORTANT: If taking the PLACE exam, all scores are automatically sent to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). If taking the Praxis II, CDE must be selected as a designated score recipient (Institutional Code 7040) when registering for the exam. You must also send a copy of your score report to DTR (PLACE or Praxis test centers will not send test results directly to DTR).
Denver Teacher Residency
Upcoming events and deadlines