Important update: All Denver Teacher Residency applicants must complete the online application through the University of Denver’s Morgridge College of Education Admissions Office to be considered for the program. Applications will only be accepted through the University of Denver (DU).
How to Apply
Denver Teacher Residency is a competitive program. In our efforts to identify only the most qualified candidates for the program, the application process is comprehensive and rigorous. We encourage you to start your application as soon as possible, be thoughtful with your responses, and work diligently to schedule the necessary requirements including contacting your references, requesting transcripts, and registering for the PLACE or Praxis II exam.
Initial Application Phases (Denver Teacher Residency and University of Denver)
How to apply:
- To begin your application process, click on the “Apply Now” button, which will ask for basic registration information and then will redirect you to the full application through the University of Denver’s Morgridge College of Education Admissions Office. You can also click here to begin the online application with DU. You will be required to create a username and password. You may use this information to start and return to your application at any point all the way up to the time you submit.
- All Denver Teacher Residency applicants must complete the online application through the University of Denver’s Morgridge College of Education Admissions Office to be considered for the program. Applications will only be accepted through the University of Denver (DU).
- For all questions pertaining to the application process, please call the Office of Admissions at Morgridge College of Education at 303-871-2509.
There are a limited number of resident openings. We will fill 75 resident spots for the 2015/16. Openings are filled first by candidates who submit their applications by the priority, though spots are left open for candidates in the final round; we will screen candidates who complete their application by the final deadline and fill all remaining openings in the spring.
Final Application Phase (University of Denver)
After reviewing all applications, Denver Teacher Residency will invite a number of candidates to participate in a demonstration day, which will give applicants an opportunity to demonstrate their strengths and attributes. After the designated demonstration days, DTR will recommend select candidates to submit a final-phase application. Only those candidates who receive a DTR recommendation will advance to the final application phase.
Demonstration Days will take place on March 6 or 7, 2015 for final application candidates. Applicants will participate in one of the two scheduled dates. Candidates are required to be present for Demonstration Day in order to be officially admitted to the program.
If you are invited to participate in Demonstration Day, you will be required to submit your official transcripts to the University of Denver’s Office of Graduate Studies and pay a $65 application fee.
University of Denver Online Application Sections:
- Personal Information: Submit your contact information, language proficiency and demographic information (optional)
- Educational Background: You must have a bachelor’s degree to be eligible for DTR. One official transcript form each college/university where at least 1 credit has been earned, mailed directly to DU.
- Do not submit letters of recommendation with the DU application. Two (2) LOR’s will be required at a later point in the application process.
- Preferred Teaching License Content Area: Choose Elementary Education (K-6) or Secondary Education (6-12) training focus. Subsequently, choose Elementary ELA-E (instruction in English), Special Education, or ELA-S (instruction primarily in Spanish); or Secondary Math or Science.
- Test Scores: DTR applicants must submit passing scores on either the PLACE or Praxis II exam no later than March 20, 2015. For more information about the PLACE or Praxis II and how it relates to DTR, please visit our FAQ section.
- Personal Statements of Interest/Essays: Submit responses to four (4) essay questions. Prompts for each essay question are provided in the application.
- Résumé: Submit your professional résumé.
- $65 Application Fee: Payable through the online application by credit card; for other payment options, contact Graduate Studies at 303-871-2706 or email@example.com
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score: International/non-native English speakers only
For more information about the application, see the FAQ section.
Information Sessions for the 2015-2016 year
August 12, 2015 approximate time 5:30 pm.
Additional dates to follow.
Denver Teacher Residency