How to Apply
Denver Teacher Residency is a competitive program. In our efforts to identify only the most qualified candidates for the program, the application process is comprehensive and rigorous. We encourage you to start your application as soon as possible, be thoughtful with your responses, and work diligently to schedule the necessary requirements including contacting your references, requesting transcripts, and registering for the PLACE or Praxis II exam.
First Application Phase (Denver Teacher Residency)
All applicants must complete the online application for Denver Teacher Residency. This application can only be submitted through the DTR web site and includes personal information, educational background, university transcripts, essays, references, résumé, and verification of a passing score for the PLACE or Praxis II exam.
The final application deadline is Friday, February 15, 2013. All application materials must be received by the application deadline in order to be considered.
There are a limited number of resident openings. These openings are filled by candidates who have completed their application by the priority deadline first; if there are openings remaining, we will screen candidates who complete their application by the final deadline.
Final Application Phase (University of Denver)
After reviewing all applications, Denver Teacher Residency will invite a number of candidates to participate in a demonstration day, which will give applicants an opportunity to demonstrate their strengths and attributes. After the designated demonstration days, DTR will recommend select candidates to submit a final-phase application. Only those candidates who receive a DTR recommendation will advance to the final application phase.
The final phase of the process consists of submitting an application to the University of Denver’s Morgridge College of Education, which includes a short online form and a $60 application fee. Only those candidates who receive a recommendation from DTR to submit a final-phase application will be considered for a 2013-14 Residency position.
Online Application Sections
- Personal Information: Submit your contact information, language proficiency and demographic information (optional)
- Educational Background: You must have a bachelor’s degree to be eligible for DTR. You also must have three (3) official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions where you earned college credit sent directly to DTR.
- Preferred Teaching License: Choose Elementary Education (K-5) or Secondary Education (6-12) training focus. Subsequently, choose Elementary ELA-E (instruction in English), Special Education (instruction in English and/or Spanish), or ELA-S (instruction primarily in Spanish); or Secondary Math or Science.
- Test Scores: DTR applicants must submit passing scores on either the PLACE or Praxis II exam. For more information about the PLACE or Praxis II and how it relates to DTR, please visit our FAQ section.
- Personal Statements of Interest/Essays: Submit responses to three (3) essay questions.
- Résumé: Submit your professional résumé.
- Professional References: Submit the name and email address for three professional references. Your references will be asked to submit their reference electronically via a link sent from DTR. They will receive an email with a link to complete a reference form, not just a reference letter.
For more information about the application, see the FAQ section.